Early. 30 minutes, at least, before the rest of your house moves. Why?
You need it. You need to take care of yourself before you start the day taking care of everyone else. I know because I spent years getting ready in the morning like a fireman going to a fire. It wasn’t until after my third child that I realized…
I had CONTROL. I had the POWER. I could STEER my whole day by getting up earlier than my family.
Waking up early does mean EARLY. It’s 5:44 a.m. I’ve been up since 5:15.
Quite frankly, it’s because my HUGE cup of coffee has kicked in and I now it may be my only chance at pure quiet for the rest of the day until I get into this bed tonight.
Why have I been up since 5:15? My dear husband gets up early for work and I decided to get up with him. This decision was solidified by the coffee that he delivered to me to wake me up. I swear if someone brought me coffee in the middle of the night by my bedside, I’d get up and drink it. Pavlov’s dog has nothing on me.
I consider this time of day to be the most precious. No one is moving, except me. No one is asking for anything, except me. It’s a very selfish time of day. I can literally do whatever I want and no one cares. I don’t have to answer for my behavior in any way.
This is the steering wheel of my entire day. These are amazing minutes before the kids wake up and Ben is already at the hospital (he’s a pediatrician — that’s normal. Babies love to be born over night!)
How does getting up early steer our day?
1. It’s completely predictable. There is no other time of the day that is such. Once the world starts moving, anything can happen. This is the time when you can count on NOTHING happening to interrupt you in your activities. People exercise during this time for this very reason. It’s crossed off the list for the rest of the day without any excuse. I have used this time for that as well, but I like doing other things that get in the way of me exercising now, and exercise later.
2. It gives you permission. As I stated before, no one cares what you are doing before they wake up. The kids aren’t going to see that you are somehow NOT doing something that they would rather you be doing. Your husband is either sleeping or gone like mine is. You don’t have to answer to anyone but yourself. It’s quite a relief.
3. Did I mention it’s quiet? It is the most quiet a house gets. That is so pleasant, so peaceful. Will you fall back asleep? Maybe, but once you get in the habit of getting up before your kids, you won’t go back. You will feel like you’ve discovered a treasure.
4. It makes the entire morning routine run smoother when I am ready for my day BEFORE the kids get up. They are just jumping on a moving train. All of us aren’t trying to get going together. If I’m trying to get ready at the same time, my patience level is AWFUL. Why? Because remember, I crave quiet predictable time in the morning.
What’s the worse thing that could happen if you get up earlier than your family? Honestly, I can’t think of one. Some people think that you will be tired for the rest of your day. You will quickly adjust your evening schedule to get to bed earlier, just to have this time to yourself.
Ok. I need a quick little cup of extra coffee. It’s 6:00. I have 20 minutes to relish. I’m going to throw a load of laundry in the washer and jump in the shower. In 25 minutes, my little world starts moving quickly and I need to grab the wheel.
What have you done to ensure that your mornings run smoother?
Have you ever tried getting up earlier than your family to see what the effects are?
How can you plan today so that you can wake up tomorrow earlier than your house?
At Mothering from Scratch, we want to help you fill your spiritual, physical, emotional and grace buckets. That’s why we created the “Fill Your Mom Bucket Challenge! 5 Days of Simple Ways to Take Care of YOU!” Join NOW!
This special 5-Day Challenge can be delivered FREE right to your inbox. You’ll receive:
* Videos and posts with wisdom and encouragement
* Daily assessments that will help you come up with a personalized plan for filling your “buckets”
* FREE Printables, including “20 Best Mom Bucket Fillers”.
Sign up TODAY by clicking here!