Saturday Morning Fantasies: Capes Optional

Rituals and routines are not natural to me.  I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my pants girl. Of course, I would have to find them first.  When I was growing up, Saturdays included the grand routine of grocery shopping, laundry, then house cleaning.  As soon as my cartoons were over, Mom and I went to the grocery store to buy food for the week.  I remember it being fun — until we would get home and start with the rest of the chores.  The bathrooms called for scrubbing. Floors needed vacuuming. Laundry had to be started. And they had to be completed for the whole week.

Other people did fun things on Saturdays, or so I thought.  We had to do THESE things.  My mother was really just using her time wisely. She tackled everything by herself in her single-mom “Wonder Woman” way.  She sometimes worked two jobs to put these weekly groceries on the table.

When I was the mom, I thought things would be different. I honestly thought since I wasn’t a single mother, I would have Saturdays again.  The laundry should be done “by then.” The grocery shopping could occur when I “ran out.” The cleaning would be done “when I felt like it”. That would be a much better system, right?

More like a complete far-fetched fantasy.

Since I didn’t have an iron-clad routine for anything except brushing my teeth, this made for willy-nilly craziness I called housekeeping. It was more than a challenge for me. It was darn near an impossible feat.  Life demands routine and predictability. I wasn’t willing to surrender my spontaneous way of thinking about my homelife.

I eventually discovered that laundry is a daily activity if it wasn’t going to be a weekly one.  That or I would never have my favorite shorts or comfy t-shirt to sleep in, ever.

Physically seeing dirt and grime showed me it was too late.

Clean happens on a schedule, not a whim.

Nothing was ever getting done. I was just always doing something.

Proverbs 16:3 “Commit your works to the LORD And your plans will be established.”

As much as I don’t want to admit it, my mom was right on a few things. She worked with intention to honor God. I seem to throw on my own cape and go grocery shopping on weekends.  I have a “big” superhero laundry day as well. Gosh darn it — capes are used on Saturdays. Not just in cartoons.

Facebook Comments:

Comments

• Mothering From Scratch says

{Kathy} Working as a mother never stops because there is ALWAYS something that needs to be done. I am so thankful for the 3.4 seconds all the laundry is done.

1. Delonna @ Chick Flick Diva says

Found your website via Sharefest. Cute post and a gentle reminder that schedules do help :)

• Mothering From Scratch says

{Kathy} I always need gentle reminders about schedules. I would be completely lost without a few solid routines.

• Mothering From Scratch says

{Kathy} “The whole cleaning thing” eludes me most of the time, too. I try to tell myself that it doesn’t matter that much. That is until I can’t find something or I am embarrassed by my mess. I have learned to tolerate myself lovingly, the way my family does. I have to work with my oddly timed energy spurts when it comes to organizing and cleaning. Knowing that they will come around eventually is great comfort.

2. says

Fabulous post! I wish I could live by a schedule better. My health isn’t great, so I have to work when I have energy. You would think I could get my kids to help since they are 13-21. Sometimes I can, sometimes I’m just too tired.

My house will be clean when they move out, right? Right? Please tell me I’m right!
    misssrobin recently posted..I WILL Change the WorldMy Profile

• Mothering From Scratch says

{Kathy} I completely understand feeling too tired to get your children to help. It makes no sense unless you are trying to backtrack, like those of us with older children. The lesson here is letting them to do what they can do themselves at an early age. I find I require much more from my 9 year old than I did from his older teenage siblings at the same age. As for when the house will be clean? I am happy with just clean enough.

3. Katy @ Experienced Bad Mom says

Visiting from SITS! Strap on your cape Super Mom! Fun, unique blog. I’ll be visiting again.
    Katy @ Experienced Bad Mom recently posted..Help WantedMy Profile

• Mothering From Scratch says

{Kathy} Lauren, it sounds like you have a lovely arrangement. Dishes and laundry dominate our mess around here,too. I am in need of a major garage clean as I sit here. It seems to be the only “room” in the house that I don’t put on my radar for cleaning. How does it get so cluttered?

4. says

Oh yes. Since I’ve been required to go back to work during the week, it feels like Sat. is just an extention of the work-week with bills, laundry, dishes, grocery shopping, errands… I still wish I could tackle these things during the work-week, but it never happens that way. I’ve always been an advocate of a three day weekend. Maybe one day… :)
    Annette recently posted..Starting My Own Business and Writing My First BookMy Profile

• Mothering From Scratch says

{Kathy} Three day weekends always feel like the “right” amount of time to me too! I treasure them. If you figure out how to have them all the time, please pass it on.

• Mothering From Scratch says

{Kathy} Tricia,happy bun baking to you! Spontaneity is hard sometimes when we are trying to get things done. I struggle with always wondering if what I am doing is what I am SUPPOSED to be doing. Kids are naturally up for something surprising. I try to balance routine and the unexpected just to make sure we all stay happy!

• Mothering From Scratch says

{Kathy} Paloma, you are welcome. Every time I visit your blog — you guessed it, I crave coffee. What do you think of the Keurig system? I actually brought mine on vacation. Sick woman, I know.

• Mothering From Scratch says

{Kathy} They can be great if you don’t have “scheduled” times to be places. Weekdays are filled with predetermined times and places…two of my least favorite things in the world of mothering.